Education Psychology Service (EPS)

Last updated: 21/04/2023

Our educational psychologists apply psychology within the educational system and the community. We specialise in promoting learning, development, emotional well-being and positive outcomes for children, young people and their families.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Cate Wilkes
Contact Position
Senior Educational Psychologist
01635 519026

Where to go

Council Offices
Market Street
RG14 5LD

Time / Date Details

When is it on
The Educational Psychology Service is largely delivered in educational settings such as preschools, schools and colleges. As a result the service is usually accessed during school extended opening times.

Other Details


It is not possible to pay directly for a local authority educational psychology involvement as the referral comes directly from the educational setting.


Age Ranges
Referral required
Referral Details

All West Berkshire LA schools plus Academies can purchase EP time for their school. The extent of the involvement will depend on the level of service the school has purchased. 

Local Offer


Our work includes the following:

  • Consultation with teachers, parents/carers and other adults who work with children or young people.
  • Psychological assessments, advice and interventions.
  • Intervention support with children and young people, families and staff for mental health and emotional well-being issues.
  • Professional development and training.
  • Research and evaluation.
  • Support for critical incidents in schools.

We work with:

  • Individuals and groups of children and young people (0-25 years of age) and their parents or carers.
  • Educational establishments and adults who educate and care for children and young people.
  • Professionals from other agencies and practitioners in educational settings and communities.
Contact Name
Cate Wilkes
Contact Telephone
01635 519026
Contact Email
SEN Provision Type
Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties, Medical, Specific Literacy Difficulties, Speech & Language Difficulties, Behavioural, Emotional & Social Difficulties, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Physical Disability, Hearing Impairment, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties, Visual Impairment
Local Offer Age Bands
0 to 1
1 to 4
5 to 7
7 to 11
12 to 14
15 to 16
16 to 18
19 plus

General Provider

Is your service accessible? (consider in general terms how you make your service accessible, in addition to any specific premises issues)

Your child may receive support from the Educational Psychology Service if he or she is referred to us through Early Years professionals, the school’s or setting’s Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO), Inclusion Manager or Head Teacher. The extent of Educational Psychology involvement will usually depend on the Educational Psychology package purchased.  Your child will also receive support from the Educational Psychology Service if the Local Authority decides that your child requires an Education Health and Care (EHC) Plan. If your family live in West Berkshire but your child attends a private school, your child would not normally receive support from a Local Authority Educational Psychologist. If your family live in West Berkshire but your child attends an educational setting in another Local Authority, your child may be eligible to receive a service from that Local Authority’s Educational Psychology Service. You will be asked to give your written consent to the educational psychologist's involvement.

What are the eligibility criteria for your service? (please include any age restrictions, types of need catered for etc)

Please see above

How are referrals/applications made to your service? (include details of who can refer/apply and referral and application process)

Please see above

What is your service standard for responding to referrals/accessing services? (include timescales for responding to referrals and accessing services)

Please see above

Who provides / funds your service?
Local Authority
Are children, young people, parents / carers charged for your service?
Details of charges, whether any help is available with costs

The EP time is purchased by the educational setting. 

Feedback and complaints procedure

If you need to complain or discuss the service your child is receiving from the Educational Psychology Service, you can do this via the Principal Educational Psychologist, or through the West Berkshire complaints department.

How will I know my child will be safe using this service?

As applied educational psychologists we are guided by protocols provided by the HCPC and the British Psychological Society. These include strict ethical and legal practice guidelines which we must adhere to. In addition all educational psychologists in West Berkshire hold enhanced DBS certificates.

Quality checks

  • DBS check

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page