Hampstead Norreys C.E. (VC) Primary School

Last updated: 28/03/2023

Hampstead Norreys C of E Primary School is a small rural school situated approximately 8 miles north of Newbury, which caters for around 100 children in 4 classes. We are now federated with The Ilsleys Primary School.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mrs A Cook
Contact Position
Office Manager
01635 201371
Hampstead Norreys C.E. (VC) Primary School
Related Service
The Ilsleys Primary School
Hampstead Norreys' Out of School Club

Where to go

Newbury Hill
Hampstead Norreys
RG18 0TR

Other Details


Table of costs
Table of costs
AmountCost Type
£4.50 per session
Breakfast Club is £4.50 per child per session.


Age Ranges

Childcare Information


Immediate vacancies
Date updated
Vacancy range(s)
Vacancy range(s)
PlacesStart AgeEnd Age
0 4 11

Funded Places

3 & 4 year old funding
2 year old funding

30 Hours Extended Entitlements

Are you registered to provide 30 Hours?

Waiting List

Do you have a waiting list?

Opening Times & Facilities

Opening Times
Opening Times
DayOpening TimeClosing Time
Monday 08:00 15.15
Tuesday 08:00 15.15
Wednesday 08:00 15.15
Thursday 08:00 15.15
Friday 08:00 15.15

School Pickups

Offers pickups
Hampstead Norrey's C of E Primary School
For breakfast club

Local Offer

Contact Name
Sandra Barber
Contact Telephone
01635 201371
Contact Email
SEN Provision Type
Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties, Medical, Specific Literacy Difficulties, Speech & Language Difficulties, Behavioural, Emotional & Social Difficulties, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Physical Disability, Hearing Impairment, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties, Visual Impairment
Local Offer Age Bands
5 to 7
7 to 11
Needs Level


1. Identification of SEND
1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?
  • Parental concerns.
  • School concerns identified through whole school monitoring and observations
  • Teachers professional judgements and tracking systems
  • The Head’s and SENCo’s knowledge of the children
  • Foundation early assessments
  • Referrals by outside agencies
  • Comments from other schools when children start here.
  • Discussions at parent evenings.
  • By the child working with other adults in the school such as Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA), classroom assistants.
  • Child’s own comments
  • Pupil progress Meetings
  • Assessment of Barriers to Learning
1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?
  • Speak to the class teacher to discuss your concerns. If necessary, arrange an appointment with the class teacher/Head Teacher for a longer discussion
  • Arrange to meet with the SENCo to discuss your concerns
2. Support for children with special educational needs
2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?
  • If the school think it is necessary, then advice is sought from outside agencies Class teacher who will provide interventions for each child
  • Class Teacher is responsible for the development of child’s education
  • If further interventions are needed, then Head Teacher/SENCo will discuss these with the class teacher
  • All interventions are reviewed at termly meetings.



2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?
  • Parents Evenings
  • SAPS – reviewing outcomes and targets
  • Requested meetings with class teacher or SENCo.
2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?
  • LSAs recognise that one of their main roles is to engender independence in all children, this will sometimes be a long term aim.
  • Children are encouraged to take responsibility for their learning
  • Class teacher setting appropriate, achievable tasks for children in their class.
  • The school recognises that a child need to be emotionally secure to work independently
  • ELSA's to work with child if emotional problems leading to a lack of independence
2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?
  • Through teacher's planning, containing differentiated activities
  • Good quality teaching with clear differentiation for all abilities
  • Assessment of children to identify current needs leading to planned support interventions
  • Follow suggestions / advice from professionals
  • As well as usual differentiation by class teacher, occasionally specific interventions will be provided after discussion with the SENCo
2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?
  • Each child is considered individually and the school will decide when appropriate outside agencies are contacted
  • Following professional advice where possible, giving personalised learning and targets
  • Will deploy present available staff to best meet the needs of the child
  • If possible, staff will receive training.
2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?
  • Where possible, class have a full time TA who is able to alternate support with the class teacher
  • Will deploy present available staff to best meet the needs of the child
  • There is usually a ELSA and full time HLTA on the staff
  • An experienced/trained SENCo who provides an overview for the SEND children
2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type
Catch Up Literacy One to one
SNAP Maths One to one
Individual Spelling Programme One to one
Emotional Literacy Support One to one
Precision Teaching One to one
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

Relating to above:

  • The above are interventions that may be used to suit individual needs and availability will be decided around suitability
  • Other intervention groups are arranged according to need such as social skills, motor skills, speech and language groups and are decided by the school.
  • Other interventions are sometimes arranged following advice from outside agencies.
  • Each intervention has a set of criteria which is used for the school to decide which one is suitable for which child and who would benefit
  • The above are dependant on the availability of trained staff
  • Outside agencies would be contacted for advice and their suggestions would be considered depending on the school’s decision.
  • Access to resources would be through discussion.
2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?
  • The DfE guidelines for statutory assessment will be followed
  • Provision would be made if child met the criteria.
  • School will discuss the official provision with parents
3. My child's progress
3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?


  • Each term there is a progress report, once a year it is a full report.
  • Regular class teacher assessment takes place all the time as well as the half termly tracking
  • Class teachers are available for discussions about these reports during parent evenings.
  • SAP are discussed and annotated each term.
  • Regular whole school monitoring happens every term. This provides class teachers with information about academic progress and this can be discussed with parents at parent meetings.



3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?
  • For those children with SAP targets will be discussed with parents.
  • SAPs are annotated showing progress made.
3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

If parents have further concerns, appointments can be made to see the class teacher.

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?
  • E-mail via the office
  • Make an appointment with the class teacher or SENCo.
3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?
  • Suggestions on SAPs for parental involvement
  • Fully support your child’s homework
  • Hear your child read daily during the week
  • Read to your child daily
  • Follow school homework policy
  • Where appropriate, look on website, especially for maths.
  • Follow advice from class teacher
  • Adhere to the home/school policy as signed by the parent.
3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?
  • Parent/partnership service
  • Parent information evenings are offered on various aspects of the curriculum. 
  • Involvement with school activities 
3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?
  • Where appropriate, their SAP will be shared with them
  • Pupil/teacher dialogue
  • Class targets and whether they are achieved
3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

*Not applicable for a primary setting.*

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?
  • Parent’s questionnaires
  • Children’s questionnaires
  • Constant monitoring of results and progress which is then discussed with parents.
  • Children’s comments on SAPs
  • Appropriate targets given to individual children who can then see their progress.
4. Support for my childs overall well being
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?
  • Where applicable, ELSA and Social skills group
  • Other advice can be asked for from outside agencies
  • Class circle time for PHSE work.
4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?
  • Whole staff has a consistent approach appropriate to the child’s needs as decided by the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) possibly after advice from outside agencies
  • Behaviour and bullying policies
  • Parental involvement at the earliest possible stage
  • Advice can be sought from the Behaviour Support team (BST)
  • Behaviour plans can be implemented
  • Advice can be asked for from outside agencies
  • Referrals can be made for advice from professional bodies if they deem it appropriate.
4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?
  • All staff are First Aid Trained with at least one trained to the higher level.
  • Medical support can be personalised according to the needs of the child
  • Medical advice can be sought from specialists.
4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?
  • Advice is taken from the professionals
  • Training may be required
  • Forms are signed by parents. All relevant information should be on these forms.
  • All administration of medicines are recorded.
4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?
  • Medical advice is requested from the School Nursing Team.
  • Discussion with parents
5. Specialist services available / accessed by the school
5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?
  • Outside agencies contacted as deemed necessary by the school usually following discussions with that service.
  • Each service has separate criteria set by that service which has to be followed.
5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

Discuss with school or GP as appropriate.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?
  • Through an application by the school to the Local Authority service following discussions and following the services criteria.
  • The service often has a triage system and they decide whether to take up the referral.
5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?
  • Contact the school for advice
  • Also possible to contact health Visitor, School nurse or GP
  • Schools can request involvement by a Speech & Language therapist.
  • Parents can contact their GP for referral to Occupational therapist/Physiotherapist.
5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?
  • Through the Local Authority
  • Head Teacher contacts Social Services as and when necessary
6. Training of school staff in SEND
6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?
  • Training is provided as thought necessary by the school
  • Whole school staff meetings for specific training as necessary
  • All staff attend so that support/understanding is consistent
6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?
  • Training is provided as thought necessary
  • Whole school staff meetings for specific training
  • All staff attend so that support/understanding is consistent
6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?
  • Depends on staffing
6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

Staff have attended many courses but not for qualifications

7. Activities outside the classroom including school trips
7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?
  • All children have equal access to participate in activity
  • Where appropriate, all reasonable adjustments will be made to try to ensure participation in all activities by SEND children
  • Personalised support
  • Work with parent
  • Follow risk assessments
7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?
  • Discussion with parents/meetings
  • Risk assessments
  • Consent form
8. Accessibility of the school environment
8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?
  • Adequate access to all areas
  • Disabled lavatories
  • Health and Safety Governor
8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

As yet, not needed, but school will work with visual and auditory consortium to support children as deemed possible by the school.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

There are accessible toilet facilities, but not changing facilities

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?
  • Regular monitoring
  • Advice requested when needed
  • Involvement with Health and Safety Governor
8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?
  • Sensitively, respectfully and according to needs
  • As with all parents, contact made if and when needed.
8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?
  • English as Additional Language (EAL) in the LA will give advice
  • Aim to provide an interpreter or a support adult
9. Preparing my child to join a new school / next stage of education
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?
  • Transition work.
  • Meeting with parents
  • Visits to our school to meet staff
  • We will contact previous school to help us settle the new child quickly
  • Extra visits if deemed necessary
  • ELSA involvement once at the school if deemed necessary
9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?
  • Internal visits to class teacher and key workers
  • Change over day
  • Personalised programmes for children identified by the school 
9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?
  • Transition programme
  • Extra visits if thought necessary by the  school
  • ELSA if necessary
  • If possible, visit from staff of next school
  • Meeting with SENCo if appropriate
9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?
  • Clear handover information
  • Contact between SENCOs or Head Teachers
  • Agree to extra visits
  • Assess needs and plan appropriate transition work as deemed necessary by school
9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?
  • Transition records
  • SEND reports will be sent if parents agree
  • Discussion with new SENCo   
9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?


10. Who can I contact to discuss my child?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?
  • Class teacher should be the first point of contact
  • SENCo will support the class teacher
  • An appointment can always be made for a parent to see the SENCo or Head Teacher 
10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)
  • Forces families have a Family Support Worker
  • Other families can access a Family Support Worker through appropriate referrals if the school feel it is appropriate
  • SENCo can advise parents where to get specific support.
10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

Through discussion with SENCo who will signpost parents to support groups as appropriate to the child’s/parents needs

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?
  • Parent Questionnaires
  • Parent view
  • Complaints Policy
  • Discuss problems/issues as soon as they arise with class teacher or SENCo.
  • E-mail into office

Quality checks

  • DBS check

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page