Disabled Facilities Grants information from West Berkshire Council

Disabled Facilities Grants (DFGs) of up to £30,000 are available for work that's needed to help a disabled person live more independently in their own home.  The grants are available to both home owners and private tenants in West Berkshire.

Applying for a grant

Before you can apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant, a discussion will take place to explain what is involved, and ask you some questions to check that you are eligible for it.

An occupational therapist must recommend any adaptations that you may need, and will need to visit you to carry out an assessment.

You can request an occupational therapist assessment by contacting the Adult Social Care team on 01635 503050.

You may have to contribute towards the cost of the work needed unless you receive certain means-tested benefits, or the application is for a disabled child.  If you can't afford your contribution, the team can advise you on other options.

The cost of works for disabled adaptations is largely exempt of VAT. For more information on VAT exemption for disabled people visit GOV.UK

To discuss an application contact the Private Sector Housing Officer via the details below.

Who to contact

Contact Position
Private Sector Housing Officer
01635 519680
Disabled Facilities Grants (WBC page)

Where to go

Council Office
Market Street
RG14 5LD

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page