Hungerford Primary School

Last updated: 07/09/2020

• The school is an above average-sized primary school in rural West Berkshire.
• The majority of pupils come from White British backgrounds.
• The proportion of pupils for whom the school receives the pupil premium is average. This is additional government funding for particular groups, such as pupils known to be eligible for free school meals and those in local authority care and children from service families.
• The proportion of disabled pupils and those who have special educational needs is average.

Who to contact

01488 682230
Hungerford Primary School

Where to go

Fairview Road
RG17 0BT

Time / Date Details

Time of day

Local Offer


• The school is an above average-sized primary school in rural West Berkshire.
• The majority of pupils come from White British backgrounds.
• The proportion of pupils for whom the school receives the pupil premium is average. This is additional government funding for particular groups, such as pupils known to be eligible for free school meals and those in local authority care and children from service families.
• The proportion of disabled pupils and those who have special educational needs is average.

Local Offer Age Bands
5 to 7
7 to 11


1. Identification of SEND
1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?

Children who are exhibiting some learning difficulties are identified by teachers and are monitored closely. Additional scaffolding and support is put in place during lessons. If children are not making expected progress as a result of this, the teacher alerts the schools Special needs Co-ordinator (SENCo).

1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

Speak to the school straight away. The staff will arrange an appointment with you and will listen to your concerns and treat them in confidence. An agreed support plan will then be put in place and reviewed at regular intervals and/or through parental requests.

2. Support for children with special educational needs
2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

The Class Teacher takes responsibility for the appropriate provision to ensure progress is made. This is agreed in partnership between the parent, teacher, any support staff involved and the SENCo. It may, on occasions, involve other agencies e.g. Speech and Language Therapist, Local Authority Special Needs Support Teacher, Educational Psychologist etc.

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?

An initial meeting will be arranged to agree a Support and Achievement Plan with parents and the class teacher. This will include agreed outcomes and timescales with which to measure progress. This will be reviewed termly although parents and teachers can request additional meetings if they have any concerns about progress.

2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?

The class teacher will ensure that activities for pupils with SEND are appropriately focused and challenging so that children can make expected progress without over-reliance on adult support. Beyond this, children may have additional interventions and guided sessions across each week. The school, as with all children, will seek ways to promote independence and self-reliance.

2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?

The teacher, when planning the children’s learning, will consider the needs of all pupils and will differentiate the learning experiences to personalise these to ensure all children can access the curriculum at levels appropriate to their needs. Planning will be monitored by the school’s leadership and the SENCo to ensure this is working as consistently as possible. There will also be regular discussions between the Class Teacher, support staff and the SENCo to review provision in order to ensure it is meeting the children’s needs.

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

Advice from relevant professional such as; ASD Support Teacher, Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Hearing Consortium, Behaviour Support Team, Cognition and learning Team  etc. is sought on how individuals can access the curriculum correctly and appropriate provision is put in place for each child following their advice. Additional training is given to staff to ensure they understand the specific difficulties a child is having and how best to support them. Teachers are then expected to employ a range of teaching styles and classroom management techniques to allow every child to make appropriate progress.

2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?

The school provides Teaching Assistants, a Family Support Worker and Emotional Literacy Support Assistants who will work to support children individually or in small groups appropriate to their needs.

2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

Once external professional advice has been received, the recommended resources are deployed with additional resources being purchased where necessary. This ensures that the child has what is needed to enable him or her to access the curriculum successfully.

2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

Access arrangements are based primarily on normal classroom practice for particular needs. Additional time can be applied for when children are sitting KS2 SATs. Readers can be used for some tests and adults can scribe or transcribe children’s answers if this is part of a child’s usual provision. On rare occasions and through agreement with parents, the decision may be taken that it is not appropriate for a child to take statutory tests. Modified versions of tests can be ordered e.g. large print, Braille etc.

3. My child's progress
3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?

Teachers are required to report progress termly to the school’s leadership and Governors. Teachers produce termly Pupil Progress Plans in response to assessment. These are then discussed with the SENCo and parents if there are specific concerns about a child and a Support and Achievement Plan agreed. If parents have a concern they can always make an appointment to see their child’s class teacher, the SENCo or a member of the School Leadership Team. Children with an Education, Health and Care Plan (formerly known as a Statement of Special Educational Needs) will also have this formally reviewed annually in partnership with the Local Authority (arranged by the School).

3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

Outcomes on the child’s Support and Achievement Plan will be reviewed termly in partnership with both the parents and the child and at this time new outcomes will be set together.

3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

The school reports formally in writing to parents towards the end of the Spring Terms. In addition to this, a child with SEND will have termly reviews of their Support and Achievement Plan and parents may request additional meeting with the class teacher at any time and this process will be support by the SENCo where appropriate.

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Staff are always available to discuss individual children with parents. Staff will also contact parents if they need to discuss a specific issue or concern and will, as necessary, invite the parents to a meeting. Arrangements may also be put in place for home-school books or rewards to support liaison for children with specific needs.

3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?

The school is always willing to provide advice and support towards shared goals for each child. In addition to this, helping your child to complete homework tasks including reading is very valuable in supporting their overall development. Making this fun is key as if children perceive it as too onerous or it is undertaken at times when they are not willing to engage it will have limited impact.

3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?

The school offers open days or learning/subject-specific events from time-to-time. In addition we will always signpost opportunities which arise within the local community.

3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

As part of the review of the Support and Achievement Plan, the pupils views and feelings will be sought in relation to their progress and outcomes. This is in addition to the individual’s involvement in their day-to-day classroom learning.

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

Key Stage 3 and 4 only.

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?

Teachers and the school’s Leadership Team monitor progress termly as a result of on-going assessments. As a result of this we assess the effectiveness of the provision for each child, including those with SEND. This is reported to Governors and individual progress discussed with parents. Parents’ and pupils’ views are sought at termly progress meetings and through occasional surveys.

4. Support for my childs overall well being
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?

The school has an agreed system of values which are shared with children and all members of the school community are expected to adhere to. Support is provided primarily through the day-to-day contact with teachers and support staff and also through the school’s Leadership Team as appropriate. Additional support may be provided by the school’s Family Support Worker and/or Emotional Literacy Support Assistants if required and external professionals may be included if appropriate.

4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?

All staff apply the school’s Behaviour, Anti-Bullying, Safeguarding and Health & Safety policies which are regularly reviewed by the Governors. In addition to this, the school will seek the advice of the Behaviour Support Team when required and will put in place specific programmes to support individual children. These are monitored and updated regularly. Staff receive regular training and each child is managed flexibly in order to meet their specific needs.

4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?

Although staff cannot be required to administer medication, the school will always make every effort to meet and support the medical needs of children. This includes specific care plans for children with diabetes, asthma, anaphylaxia, epilepsy, etc. All staff receive basic first aid training and there a number of staff who have undertaken a higher level certificated course.

4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

Parents are asked to complete a medical consent form and to provide instructions on the care and administration of medicines. Where there are more complex needs a care plan is put in place.

4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?

We talk to parents and set up a plan. This is implemented and monitored by staff and regular review meetings with parents and children. Where needed, we involve additional professionals e.g. the School Nurse.

5. Specialist services available / accessed by the school
5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

The school accesses a range of support services when this is appropriate for the individual child. This may include specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc. 

5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

Liaise directly with your child’s class teacher as soon as any anxieties or concerns identified. Please remember that there is no such thing as a ‘silly question’ when it comes to your child’s needs and we are always happy to work with you.   The class teacher will then access the appropriate support service for your child.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

Some of these are accessed by referral by the class teacher in liaison with parents.   Other services will need to be accessed through your child’s GP.

5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?

Speak to your class teacher who will discuss your child’s needs with you.

5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

If a member of staff has a concern about a child’s well-being, they complete a raising concerns form which is then discussed with the designated child protection team at the school. If deemed necessary, this will then be reported to Children’s Services who will either advice the school on a course of action or may visit the parents. Serious concerns are dealt with promptly and are immediately referred to Social Services. Where there are less serious concerns, the school will liaise with the Family Support Worker, local Children’s Centre (based at Hungerford Nursery School) or may, after a period of time, access additional services or advice from the Locality.

6. Training of school staff in SEND
6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?

All staff are offered annual ASD update training provided by the ASD team.  Additional training is provided by the Cognition and Learning Team as appropriate.  SENCo training for teachers is provided on setting appropriate outcomes for Support and Achievement plans. 
The effectiveness of this training is measured through learning walks and classroom observations by the SEN Governor and SLT.   Regular observations of interventions are carried out by SENCo and Special Needs support teachers.    These processes ensure that a consistent approach is taken by the school to ensure that all children with SEND needs are met.

6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

All teaching assistants are offered annual ASD update training provided by the ASD team.  Additional training is provided by the Cognition and Learning Team as appropriate.    Training on specific interventions also takes place and the effectiveness of this is monitored closely with further training put in place if necessary.

6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The School SENCo has completed the SENCo Accreditation Course as is legally required.

7. Activities outside the classroom including school trips
7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

Before trips are undertaken, teachers do a pre-site visit and complete risk assessments which enables all children to be included.  All external agencies are made aware of children’s specific needs so that they can fully access out of school clubs.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?

Once teachers have completed the pre-site visit, they discuss the proposed trip with parents and complete the risk assessment together.

8. Accessibility of the school environment
8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

All buildings are accessible via ramps and doorways are wide enough for wheelchair used.   There are two disabled toilets and a shower room.  If a child with mobility difficulties is allocated a place in school, the school’s Accessibility plan will be reviewed to ensure the school can meet the child’s needs.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

The Hearing Consortium has carried out acoustic checks in classrooms and children with hearing impairment have been placed in classrooms which best suit their needs.  If a child is placed at our school with visual impairment, an assessment of the teaching areas will be made and appropriate provision made, following advice from the Vision Impairment Consortium.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

There are two disabled toilets and a shower room. 

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

Teachers and parents complete the Support and Achievement plan together.  The school’s facilities will be re-assessed where appropriate and changes made if necessary.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

Teachers arrange face to face meetings with parents who have reading or writing difficulties.  Support is provided to complete forms and access information sent out for their child.    The SENCo, Family Support Worker or members of the SLT will also provide moral support for parents at meetings etc.  

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

The school can access support from EMTAS for communication support at meetings. Support for parent’s needs are assessed on an individual basis and strategies implemented to meet their requirements. This support is reviewed on a regular basis. 

9. Preparing my child to join a new school / next stage of education
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?

Additional meetings are arranged between all parties involved with the individual child (including feeder school, new school, parents/carers and the child if relevant.  A full assessment of needs will be discussed and a provision plan put in place.  Additional visits will also be arranged for the child to meet the new teacher and setting to ease transition.  Where appropriate, the child will be given a transition booklet with photographs of the setting and staff to use before the child starts at the school.    Parents are involved in all discussions to ensure smooth transition takes place.

9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?

Additional class visits can be organised and, where relevant, transition booklets prepared for the child to take home.  

9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?

A transition plan will be made by the two class teachers.   Children will visit their new school and are encouraged to express any anxieties they may have.  Parents are involved in all discussions to ensure smooth transition takes place.  

9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?

All SEN information and specialist reports will be shared with the new school, including successful strategies, intervention programmes and any additional information about the child that the school may find useful. Open lines of dialogue will be encouraged and a transition plan will be completed. Where appropriate the school may also arrange a supported visit for the child.

10. Who can I contact to discuss my child?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?

The first point of call should always be the child’s class teacher as they have responsibility for meeting every child’s needs on a daily basis. The SENCo will offer additional support as needed. Any further concerns should be raised with the school’s Leadership Team.

10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

The school has a dedicated Family Support Worker who works within the school and who can provide support within the home. She can be contacted through the school office.

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

In reviewing the needs of children and families, the school will always seek to provide additional information on other agencies who may be able to offer further help or guidance e.g. Parent Partnership, parent support groups, courses for children with specific diagnoses of SEND and  national services.

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

The school has an open-door policy where parents are encouraged to give feedback or to raise initial concerns before they become more serious. Parents may also e-mail the school or write a letter and, if they are not satisfied with the way this has been handled, they can follow the school’s complaints procedure (which is available from the school office or on the website).

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page