Trinity School Newbury Academy Trust

Last updated: 20/11/2023

Trinity School is the lead school in the Newbury Academy Trust based in the north of Newbury. We sponsor two local primary schools - Fir Tree School and Speenhamland School.  Trinity School is a smaller than average sized Secondary school but is within the top 20% of schools in England for adding value to student achievement at GCSE and A Level. 

Currently, Trinity School benefits from housing two specialist Local Authority Resource Bases: One for students with a Specific Learning Difficulty (Dyslexia) and the other for students with Autism.  Students are placed in these Resource Bases by the Local Authority through a separate assessment process. 

The Trust’s ethos is to make a substantial difference to the lives of young people through the education we provide. To achieve our mission we expect all of our young people to:

  • have high expectations in all they do

  • respond positively to challenges

  • develop a love of learning that remains a lifelong legacy

  • take increasing responsibility for their own learning

  • show respect for each other and their environment.

Putting student achievement at the heart of all we do for all students ensures we develop confident, successful young people well prepared for their next steps in life. Our outstanding facilities and dedicated and ambitious staff team provide the very best environment for learning and help drive our students to achieve personal excellence. 

Who to contact

Contact Name
Mrs S. Kemp
Contact Position
Deputy Headteacher - SENDCo
01635 510500
Newbury Academy Trust Trinity School

Where to go

Trinity School
Love Lane
RG14 2DU

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Daily, Monday to Friday during term time
Time of day
Session Information
The school day runs from 8.35am-3.10pm

Inclusion Information

Dietary Needs

Has Provision

Local Offer

SEN Provision Type
Medical, Specific Literacy Difficulties, Speech & Language Difficulties, Behavioural, Emotional & Social Difficulties, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Physical Disability, Hearing Impairment, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Visual Impairment
Local Offer Age Bands
12 to 14
15 to 16
16 to 18
Needs Level


1. Identification of SEND
1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?

We work closely with local primary schools during transition to ensure we receive relevant and accurate information regarding young people with special education needs.  We also monitor students’ performance and investigate further, where students perform below expected levels or whereby concerns have been raised by teachers and parents.  We also liaise with external agencies, for instance where a young person has a health diagnosis through a paediatrician.

Identification of students in Year 7 – students are selected for any combination of the following:

  • Students are significantly below age related expectation in English or mathematics, at the end of KS2.
  • Vulnerable students, as identified by their special educational needs, who will benefit from intensive teaching and support in the SEND department to facilitate a successful transition into Year 7. 

If a student is demonstrating significant cause for concern, a request from the Headteacher will be made to the LA for a multi-professional assessment.

1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

If you have a concern, you should contact your child’s tutor, Head of Year/House or the SENDCo to share your concerns. We would then develop an agreed action plan (APDR) to support your child.  We aim to build positive and collaborative relationships between home and school.

2. Support for children with special educational needs
2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

If your child is identified as having SEND they are monitored by the SENDCo. The SENDCo oversees their education programme in conjunction with the relevant Head of Year/House.

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?

Students with SEND have a SAP, which is monitored and reviewed throughout the academic year.  Parents receive a copy of their child’s SAP.  There are three reporting cycles for every year group where parents receive a progress and data report.  There is also at least one parents' evening per year per year group.  For day to day contact the form tutor is the main point of contact.

2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?

Students are encouraged to develop independence whilst being provided with appropriate support. Students, who are supported by teaching assistants, work with a variety of teaching assistants to develop their independence.  

2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?

Children with special educational needs are set in appropriate classes.  In line with school policies all teachers provide activities to challenge the needs of all learners. Class teachers track and monitor learning to ensure progress is being made and make use of the SAP to help inform planning, delivery and assessment processes.  Some students with special educational needs may require specialist intervention or alternative schemes of work in liaison with Heads of Curriculum Area and LA professionals.

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

All staff will use student SAPs to inform their planning and to provide relevant resources and materials to stimulate and support learning.  Assessment for learning in lessons is used to measure students’ learning.  Class teachers will communicate with the Head of Curriculum area, parents and SENDCo to discuss further strategies to support students.  Training for staff is available through the SENDCo to help support their teaching of students with special educational needs.

2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?

In classrooms, we employ teaching assistants and HLTAs to support young people with SEND.  We also have an Educational Psychologist, a full time Family Support worker who works 1:1 with students or organises group sessions depending on the students’ needs.  We also have trained Emotional Literacy Support Assistants (ELSAs) who have received specific additional training to work with young people in school to help them understand and regulate their own emotions whilst respecting the feelings of others around them.

2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type
Trinity School offers a wide and ranging programme of interventions which have specific assessment criteria. We tailor the intervention that we offer students with SEND to appropriately support their needs. Students may have three Intervention lessons on their timetable each fortnight, if their needs indicate wide-ranging difficulties in literacy and/ or numeracy. These lessons are fully supported by teaching and support staff, so that teaching can target small groups with specific focuses, using precision teaching methods. Students' progress is measured using Standardised tests. The progress target for these groups is for the students to double their rate of progress. Small group
Trinity School offers a wide and ranging programme of interventions which have specific assessment criteria. We tailor the intervention that we offer children with SEND to appropriately support their need. Handwriting – Small group Reading for confidence - Small group Touch typing – Individual computer programme Literacy support - small group Numeracy support – small group ELSA work with small groups or individuals Small group
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

Trinity School is an inclusive school.  We use support and advice from external professionals such as the Sensory Consortium and Autism Advisory Team to identify and source relevant support, finance, resources and equipment for our students.

We respond to individual needs.  Practical resources will be provided where appropriate.

  • Laptops
  • Exam reader pens
  • Writing slope
  • Wobble cushion
  • Theraputty/sensory aids
  • Pencil Grips
2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

Students with special educational needs as well as other students who have been identified by class teachers and the SENDCo are assessed for access arrangements for examinations from Year 9. The assessor completes the assessment and depending on the outcomes, appropriate arrangements are put in place. The SENDCo will inform all class teachers, parents and students what access arrangements will be in place for them. Access arrangements are applied to all class tests and formal assessments to ensure that it is the student’s normal way of working.  Access arrangements will be specific to individual students, based on the assessment criteria thresholds but could include as an example, receiving additional time or having a reader or scribe. Only assessors authorised by Trinity School and recognised by JCQ can be accepted for access arrangements for public examinations.

3. My child's progress
3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?

Reviewing a students’ progress will be done in consultation with parents and students. Progress of all students including those with special educational needs will be monitored through the following ways:

  • Performance is monitored by teachers as part of on-going observation and assessment
  • Progress is measured against objectives set in the class
  • The progress of all students is tracked on three occasions during the academic year, and the results shared with parents/carers
  • Standardised screening and/or assessment tools are used
  • End of year assessments.

Opportunities to discuss students’ progress are available through parents’ evenings and Progress and Performance review days with the SENDCo, class teacher, tutor or Head of Year/House.

3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

Parents of a student with an EHCP will be involved in an Annual Review to discuss their child’s progress. Part of this process will be to set 'desired outcomes' for the year ahead. You will be involved in target setting as it might be appropriate to set a target for the home as well as school.


3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

Parents are welcome to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher, tutor, Head of Year/House or SENDCo to discuss how their child is getting on. We can offer advice and practical ways that parents can help their child at home.

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Parents' Evenings are scheduled and there are also Parent Information Evenings on the calendar. At any point when the need arises contact between home and school may be initiated by either home or school. We use email and parents can contact individual members of staff or the SENDCo directly to discuss their child’s progress.

3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?

The involvement of parents is encouraged at every step of a student’s education. We aim to work in close partnership with parents/carers in all aspects of identification, assessment and provision for children with Special Educational Needs. Parents are invited to meet with class teachers at parents evening to discuss how they can support their child’s learning. Parents are also advised to encourage their child to get involved in the many extra-curricular opportunities at Trinity School.

3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?

We work with external agencies and advisors who can offer further support and help for parents.  We pass on information to parents and discuss any relevant outcomes. The Educational Psychologist and the Family Support Worker will meet with parents regularly if necessary to discuss progress and achievement.

3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

Children who have SAPs discuss their provision with a key member of staff. Students who have an EHCP will have the opportunity to share their views in preparation for their annual review. At Trinity School, students are encouraged to contribute their 'student voice' through various core groups held and student leadership opportunities within the school.

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

All students including those with SEND study for accredited courses. The school offers a wide range of subjects/courses and the student’s interests and progress are discussed during an options interview. Students at Trinity are also encouraged to participate in wider accredited courses e.g. DofE as we recognise the positive impact these clubs can have on an individual. 

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?

We value and celebrate each child being able to express their views on all aspects of school life. This is usually carried out through the Student Voice Body, which has an open forum for any issues or viewpoints to be raised. We also ask parents and students for their views in end of year questionnaires.

4. Support for my childs overall well being
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?

Our Deputy Headteacher (SENDCo) oversees all support and progress of any child requiring additional support across the school along with the relevant tutor and Head of Year/House who is responsible for students’ pastoral care.  The class teacher will oversee, plan and work with each child with SEND in their class to ensure that progress in every area is made. There may be a Teaching Assistant (TA) working with your child either individually or as part of a group; if this is seen as necessary by the SENDCo. The regularity of these sessions will be explained to parents when the support starts. We also have an Inclusion Room that is available for students that are more vulnerable and is managed by our Teacher in Charge of Inclusion.  Students can access the Inclusion Room through referral by the SENDCo, Head of Year/House or Pastoral Deputy Headteacher.  In addition, the PSHE programme including PSHE days, assemblies and extra-curricular opportunities help to promote the social and emotional development of our students. 

4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?

We have high expectation of all students. Excellent effort, work, attendance and behaviour are expected and students are rewarded for these. Students are rewarded for their good work and effort and contribution to school life through our rewards system.  This revolves around competition and the House system and encourages self-esteem and builds self-confidence.  In support of this, the school also uses a number of sanctions to address behaviour, which falls below our high standards. We make no apology for demanding the highest standards in work and behaviour and applying consequences to students where they fail to meet expectations. We work closely with parents and encourage parental support and involvement in all these matters.

4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?

We have specific members of staff who are trained in First Aid and all medications are centralised in the medical room, which is overseen by our fully-qualified School Nurse. As a staff we have regular training and updates on conditions and medication affecting individual children, so that all staff are able to manage medical situations.


4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

If medicines or therapy are required the necessary arrangements are made in line with school policy. Medicines are stored and administered by the school's fully qualified nurse and staff trained in first aid. 


4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?

The school nurse provides help with looking after extra clothing provided by home and any special dietary requirements. If we feel that a student needs extra help then it may be necessary to refer to the school nurse.  Individual students who may need access to the toilet during lessons will be issued with a medical toilet pass and all teachers notified. Students with diabetes are allowed to check their blood sugar levels when required throughout the school day. 

5. Specialist services available / accessed by the school
5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

We retain an Educational Psychologist who works across the Newbury Academy Trust. He supports in assessing and monitoring children, updating parents, advising on programmes and resources and offering any training that may be needed. We can receive advice and support from the Behaviour Support Team, CAMHS, Occupational Therapy, Educational Welfare Officer (EWO), Speech and Language services, Social Services, Autism Advisory Service and the West Berkshire Learning Support Team.  The number of students with special educational needs and their personalised needs vary year on year and we access the relevant support from external agencies as necessary. 

5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

Parents can make an appointment to see their GP to raise their concerns. Alternatively, they can contact the SENDCo to discuss the support for their child.  The meeting will determine the next course of action.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

We liaise with the Local Authority to access extra services and support using a referral system.  Students and parents, class teachers and TAs will work collaboratively with therapists to implement strategies.  

5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?

If you think that your child needs to be seen by a Speech and Language Therapist, Occupational Therapist or Physiotherapist you can make an appointment to see your GP to raise your concerns. Alternatively, you can contact the SENDCo to discuss the possible support for your child.  The meeting will determine the next course of action.

5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

We have access to a full time Family Support Worker who is able to signpost families to appropriate support and intervention groups.  We also use the Local Authority procedures for Referral and Assessment to Social Services and can access The Supporting Families Programme.

6. Training of school staff in SEND
6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?

All staff receive safeguarding training. All staff receive annual medical training in Epilepsy, Diabetes, Asthma and use of Epipens. Other training sessions related to SEND are organised throughout the year as part of the staff CPD programme.

6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

All teaching assistants and support staff receive safeguarding training. All staff receive annual medical training in Epilepsy, Diabetes, Asthma and use of Epipens. Other training sessions related to SEND are organised throughout the year as part of the staff CPD programme.

6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The school employs one teacher who has completed the National Award for SEN Coordination qualification and one further teacher who is completing the National Award for SEN Coordination qualification. One teacher holds the Certificate in Psychometric Testing, Assessment and Access Arrangements (CPT3A).

6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The TAs and HLTAs are trained in many areas relating to the work they do and hold relevant qualifications.

7. Activities outside the classroom including school trips
7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

All students are included in trips and out of school activities. Each trip or activity has a risk assessment and any reasonable adjustments that need to be made are put in place if necessary. The lead teacher will look at the young person’s EHCP or SAP and decide whether any extra provision needs to be made. For day trips, a Teaching Assistant may be assigned to students with an EHCP. Risk assessments are carried out by the lead teacher for the trip to ensure safety of all those on the trip.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?

Dependant on the type of trip and dependant on the young person’s needs the lead teacher may feel that it is necessary to meet with parents in order to ascertain what support is needed and what works well at home. Trinity School holds trip meetings for parents in order to receive specific information and to ask any relevant questions.

8. Accessibility of the school environment
8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

There are lifts that can access certain parts of the school building but there are a number of areas that are only accessible via stairs. There is a ramp in to the school hall. Trinity School can make reasonable adjustments to accommodate a student in a wheelchair or on crutches for a short period of time but would struggle to do so on a more permanent basis due to the nature of the buildings.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

The majority of classrooms are fitted with SMART boards, which can change the font size on the screen.  Several classrooms have been fitted with 'soundfield' equipment to assist students who have a hearing impairment.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

There is an accessible toilet in the main reception area and the changing facilities in the sports hall that are accessible.

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

Depending on the needs of the student, it may be necessary to carry out a risk assessment of the school. We will either do this ourselves or contact a relevant service such as the Sensory Consortium.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

Trinity School endeavours to understand the disabilities of parents / carers and remove the barriers as appropriate. Where a parent or carer requires wheelchair access, reserved parking spaces can be made available and reserved seating can be booked for performances and presentations. Where a parent has auditory disabilities communication can be text based and if a parent is particularly anxious about attending a school event alternative arrangements will be made where possible. 


8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

Depending on the parents’ level of English, Trinity School would make contact with parents/carers whose first language is not English in the same way as English speaking parents. In the event that the parents/carers do not speak English then we may use a translator to communicate effectively with parents / carers. Where possible, school communications are translated by the EaL Coordinator.

9. Preparing my child to join a new school / next stage of education
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?

We encourage all new children and their parents to visit our school prior to starting, this could be at one of our open events or an individual meeting.  We would then invite you to meet with the SENDCo and the Headteacher to discuss your child’s needs.  If your child has a SEND they may wish to visit more than once which is encouraged. We try to liaise with any previous schools to find out as much information as we can about your child and any extra needs they may have before they start. All of this information helps us to determine the type of support and arrangements needed to meet your child’s needs effectively ensuring that they are able to fully access the school’s curriculum and are not treated less favourable than other students. 

Year 6 students will come to Trinity School for two main transition days. During these days they will get the chance to meet their tutor and the other members of their tutor group as well as experience some lessons. If the young person has a diagnosis of Autism, an EHCP or is highly anxious then they will be invited to attend two additional visits. The Head of Year 7, Transition Lead and the SENDCo will make visits to primary school and parents are invited to attend a transition evening where key information will be shared with parents and students. Trinity School also runs a successful Summer School, which all rising Year 7 students are welcome to attend.

9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?

Students tend to stay with the same form tutor from years 7-11 so the tutor will do some preparatory work with their tutor groups regarding transition within school. If the young person has a Statement of Educational Needs or an EHCP, then any worries or concerns about the following year will be discussed at the Annual Review. Trinity School has a Careers Advisor who works with students to help prepare them for Post-16 education and beyond and PSHE days will have aspects of Careers advice included.

9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?

Where a student moves on to another school or setting there is close liaison and a sharing of records with the new provider. We liaise with their new school or setting and pass on any information that will help them to make a smooth transition. Any support plans or Education Health Care Plans will be transferred to their new school.

Depending on the circumstances, it may be necessary for the young person to attend some additional visits to their new school. Trinity School will aim to accommodate any additional visits that are necessary to achieve a smooth transition.


9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?

The relevant person in school will make contact with the new school in order to share information about the young person. If the young person needs to attend any visits then Trinity School will support this to aid a smooth transition.

9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?

Trinity School will share the electronic file and their student files will be sent on to a named member of staff at the receiving school.  Any information relating to safeguarding will also be shared between Designated Safeguarding Leads/Officers.

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?

Trinity School offers students numerous opportunities to engage with further education and employment e.g. through the annual careers fair. Trinity School also provides opportunities for students to visit universities and Newbury College's taster days. If a student has an EHCP, the Local Authority will attend Annual Reviews to discuss ideas for further education. Students with a SEND are offered additional interview opportunities and the SENDCo can, upon request, support parents and students with visits to Post-16 providers.

10. Who can I contact to discuss my child?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?

The first point of contact would be the student’s form tutor. It might be necessary to contact the Head of Year/House depending on the nature of the concern. If the discussion is regarding support and provision for a Special Educational Need or Disability, then you are advised to contact the SENDCo.

10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

The Family Support Worker will offer support for parents/carers and families depending on the level of need. She can offer 1:1 parenting support and parenting support groups. She may feel the need to signpost to an external agency if necessary.

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

Signposting to external agencies, which can offer support, is done via either the Deputy Headteacher (SENDCo) or the Deputy Headteacher (Behaviour and Inclusion). In some instances the Education Welfare Officer, Family Support Worker or Head of Year/House may signpost various external agencies or voluntary agencies.

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

Trinity School requests feedback from parents annually via a parent survey. Also, at each Parents’ Evening, governors are present to take feedback from parents. Parents are encouraged to discuss any issues first and foremost with the Form tutor, Head of Year/House or Deputy Headteacher (SENDCo) and, if matters cannot be resolved, they are welcome to make an appointment to discuss matters with the Headteacher.  There is a formal complaints policy available to all parents / carers via the school website. Compliments are always welcome and these can be shared verbally or in writing to the relevant member of staff and/or the Headteacher.

Quality checks

  • Not applicable

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page