Commitment to Accessibility
We are fully committed to ensuring this website meets the Web Content Accessibility Gidelines (opens in a new window) (WCAG 2.0) to AA standard to ensure people with disabilities are not excluded from accessing information and services. The design of our website includes a number of accessibility features including:
- Change font size
- Change site appearance
- Translate the page using Google Translator
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Images and alt tags
- PDF Documents
- Report an accessibility problem
Change font size
To increase the size of the text, hold down the ctrl key on the bottom left hand row of the key board whilst using the scroll wheel on the mouse to increase (or decrease) the size of the text. Alternatively you can use the + (plus) and - (minus) keys whilst holding down the ctrl key.
Change site appearance
If you have any difficulty in reading the content of the site in its default design you may want to switch to using the text only version of the page.
- Click on the Text Only link at the top of the page which will take you to a text only version of the page.
- Use the links at the top of the page to switch between Light Theme (black text on white background) and Dark Theme (white text on dark background)
Whichever theme you choose it will be maintained as you navigate through the site.
To return back to the default design version of the site click on the Graphical Version link at any time.
Translate the page using Google Translator
Google Translator provides an easy way to translate web pages into a variety of languages. Simply select the language required from the drop down list.
Keyboard shortcuts control various browser functions and are often a useful and quick way of navigating through a site. For the vast majority of browsers, use your Tab key to navigate forward through links (use Shift + Tab to go backwards), and Enter to activate the link. Many other keys can be used, and will vary depending on the browser and operating system you are using. To find the shortcuts for your browser, follow these steps if your computer is running Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator on Windows:
- Internet Explorer - Press your F1 key to open the online help and in the index, type "keyboard shortcuts", select the required option and click "display".
- Netscape Navigator - Press your F1 key to open the online help and in the index, type "keyboard".
- Firefox-Mozilla - Press your F1 key to open the online help and in the index, select "keyboard Shortcuts".
Images and alt tags
We have avoided using excessive graphics within the website where possible to ensure quick download times and access to information which cannot be read if in image format. Where images have been used we have added 'Alt' tags - text alternatives so that you will still know what the image is meant to convey even if it does not load or if you've have chosen to browse with the images switched off or you are using an assistive technology like a screen reader to browse the webpage rather than view.
This site uses PDF (Adobe Acrobat) file format for the publication of large and complex documents. Please note that Adobe Acrobat documents can be converted back to plain text using Adobe's Web-based conversion service.
Report an accessibility problem
We are constantly working to improve the accessibility features of Source and really would welcome your suggestions and comments. We will be undertaking a further review of this site to introduce more measures and features to improve its accessibility standards.
If you encounter an accessibility or technical problem with any page on this site, please visit the Contact us page for directions on how to notify us.
You may have noticed an orange round logo at the top right of this website. Clicking this logo will enable you to access 'browsealoud', a fantastic type of software making our website more accessible. Browsealoud has the following features:
- Text-to-speech with choice of reading speeds and highlighters to enhance reading comprehension
- Translate web pages into 78 languages; speak translated text aloud in 35 languages
- On-screen text magnifier helps users with visual impairments
- MP3 generator converts text to audio files for offline listening
- Screen mask blocks on-screen clutter, letting readers focus on text being read
- Web page simplifier removes ads and other distracting content for easier reading
- Custom settings that are built in to suit individual user needs and preferences
We hope this software will make our site as accessible as possible.