Home ownership for people with long-term disabilities - HOLD

If you have a long-term disability, the HOLD scheme in England could help you buy any home for sale on a shared ownership basis (part-rent/part-buy). You could buy a share of your home (between 25% and 75% of the home’s value) and pay rent on the remaining share.

You can only apply for the HOLD scheme if the homes available in the other shared ownership schemes don’t meet your needs, eg you need a ground-floor home.

You could buy a home through the HOLD scheme if you have a long-term disability and meet certain criteria:

  • your household earns £80,000 a year or less outside London, or your household earns £90,000 a year or less in London
  • you are a first-time buyer, you used to own a home but can’t afford to buy one now or are an existing shared owner looking to move.

Only military personnel will be given priority over other groups through government funded shared ownership schemes. However, councils with their own shared ownership home-building programmes may have some priority groups, based on local housing needs.

Your local Help to Buy agent can help you with this scheme.

Owning your own home - find the right scheme for you.  Useful information to guide you through the process.


Information available on the HM Government webpage

Who to contact

HOLD Home ownership for people with long-term disabilities

Other Details


Age Ranges

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page