Carers - Reading and West Berkshire Carers Hub
Are you, or is someone you know, providing much-needed unpaid care for a loved one?
Reading and West Berkshire Carers Hub Service is a confidential support service available for carers of all ages,
The Carers Hub can offer:
Information, Advice and Guidance
- Signposting to specialist organisations
- Advice on benefits, other support groups
One to One Telephone Support
- Listening and emotional support
- Coping mechanisms during stressful times
- A chance to meet other Carers via regular groups organised across Berkshire
- Activities and outings
- Guest speakers
Short Break Accommodation
- Holiday Lodge accommodation available for 1 week bookings. Two lodges available in Saxmundham, Suffolk (own transport required/remote) sleeps max 6 or 8. More local holiday accommodation may be available.
Gym Memberships (currently only available at 2 Reading locations)
- Free weekly sessions for Carers
- Access to all facilities
- Book 3 months in advance
- Carers Essentials - Carers can apply for grants of up to £300 towards the cost of ONE piece of household equipment which will benefit them in their caring role.
- Carers Take Time Out - Carers can apply for grants of up to £400 to enable them to take a break from their caring role. Up to £160 (or 40% of the total grant awarded) can be used to pay for replacement care if needed. This care can be accessed at the home of the person in receipt of care, in a respite care facility, or on the break itself.
- Replacement care may be able to be accessed through a local Carers Trust Scheme.
- Carers: Skills for You - Carers can apply for grants of up to £500 to enable them to learn new skills that will assist them in their caring role, help them to return to work or enable them to have a new interest outside their caring role. Up to £200 (or 40% of the total grant awarded) can be used to pay for replacement care if needed whilst the carer is taking part in the course or activity.
CarerSmart Discount Card
- Benefits scheme available to all carers - https://www.carersmart.org/
- Joining is easy and free, once you’re a member, you can benefit from a wide range of offers including:
- Cash back on shopping from numerous high street retailers
- Best rates from energy providers
- Reductions on insurance renewals
- Discounts on holidays and travel arrangements
- Reduced price lifestyle activities
- Free legal advice service
Respite Break for carers
- Free sitting service for the ‘cared for’ allowing the carer to have a couple of hours break. Available from volunteers (unable to provide personal care)
Who to contact
- Age Ranges
West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.