Supporting People with Physical Disabilities

Last updated: 05/08/2022

Support for those, of any age, with significant or clinically diagnosed sight and/or hearing loss.


Who to contact

01635 503074

Where to go

West Berkshire Council, Council Offices
Pincents Lane
RG31 4UH

Time / Date Details

Time of day

Local Offer

  • Statutory needs assessments to identify areas where support can be provided to encourage independence and wellbeing within the home and social environments.
  • Support to manage daily living with hearing and/or visual loss.
  • Rehabilitation training, i.e. mobility aids and training, independent living skills.
  • Issue of environmental aids to improve accessibility to daily living such as loop systems, smoke alarms with vibrating pillow pads, portable flashing doorbells etc for people/children with a hearing loss; talking clocks and watches, liquid level indicators, white canes, hi-level marking, writing aids etc for people/children with a visual loss.
  • Advice and information on a wide range of local and national support services such as voluntary organisations, clubs and social activities, local authority support, welfare benefits, health teams, education and employment.
  • Advice and information also available to parents and carers of children with a sensory loss.
  • Joint working with a variety of different agencies both local authority and voluntary.
Contact Name
Sensory Needs Team
Contact Telephone
01635 503704 or you can also send a text message (please don't call) to: 07917 013803
Contact Email
SEN Provision Type
Hearing Impairment, Visual Impairment
Local Offer Age Bands
0 to 1
1 to 4
5 to 7
7 to 11
12 to 14
15 to 16
16 to 18
19 plus

General Provider

Is your service accessible? (consider in general terms how you make your service accessible, in addition to any specific premises issues)

The Sensory Needs Service is part of the East Locality team for adults and based within the same offices as the leaving care team in Children’s services. Accessibility to the building for clients and service users is only to the ground floor which has level access, disabled toilet facilities, suitable reception space and children’s play activity area. Appointments are encouraged to ensure that a suitable member of the team is available to provide support

What are the eligibility criteria for your service? (please include any age restrictions, types of need catered for etc)

Any person who has a clinically diagnosed hearing and/or sight loss.

How are referrals/applications made to your service? (include details of who can refer/apply and referral and application process)

Self referrals are available.

What is your service standard for responding to referrals/accessing services? (include timescales for responding to referrals and accessing services)

Acknowledgement is sent upon receipt of referrals. Further contact is then made following this to carry out additional screening which includes the exact nature of the sensory loss and the impact this has on the client and/or family/carers; identifying additional areas of need; gaining relevant personal information etc. This then allows us to prioritise the case and then allocate to a suitable worker within the team.

Who provides / funds your service?
Local Authority
Are children, young people, parents / carers charged for your service?
Feedback and complaints procedure

Complaints and Comments about Children’s Services or Adult Social Care Services There is a separate statutory process for dealing with complaints about Children’s Services and Adult Social Care Services, and any such complaints should be passed to the Complaints Liaison Officer for either Adult or Children’s Services. Further information is available from the Education Service, the Children & Families Service and the Adult Social Care Service to whom such complaints or comments must be referred.

How will I know my child will be safe using this service?

All staff have fully enhanced DBS checks. All staff complete Safeguarding training for both Adults and Children. West Berkshire Council operates under strict guidance of the Data Protection Act with regard to maintaining privacy of data management and storage. When assessing a child or vulnerable person a suitable parent/carer is required to be present.

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page