Newbury College

Coronavirus Status: OPEN

Newbury College is situated in beautiful rural West Berkshire and was purpose built in 2002. It offers state of the art facilities in a modern, new, fully accessible building.

We offer a range of courses for students with learning difficulties and/or disabilities. Courses are designed to meet students’ needs across varying levels and abilities, and we work alongside parents and carers to ensure individual requirements are catered for. We also offer a course desgined to meet the needs of indivduals that present with challenging behaviour, this course will be running from an outreach centre in Theale from October 2016.


Who to contact

01635 845000
Newbury College

Where to go

Newbury College
Monks Lane
RG14 7TD

Time / Date Details

When is it on
The College is Open 8.30am til 9pm Monday to Thursday and 8.30am til 5pm on Fridays in Term Time. Outside of Term Time the College is open 8.30 til 5pm Monday to Friday
Time of day

Other Details

Local Offer

Local Offer Age Bands
16 to 18
19 plus

Further Education Colleges

1. Identification of SEND
1.1: How does the College identify those young people with special educational needs and disabilities who have not previously been identified?

The college will identify your special educational needs or disability’s that have not been previously identified through working with your current educational provider and the local authority.

Through transition, taster days, internal assessments. Initial assessments and link up groups.

Also through:

 Education, health and care plans.


 Prior knowledge from all involved

 Personal details form ILP

 Work with Local Authority to agree appropriate action for assessments to be undertaken- multi agency approach

 Open door policy

 Input and agreement through:

 Course leader, Team leader HNS Manager

2. Support for young people with special educational needs
2.1: If a young person is identified as having SEND, who will plan their education programme?

The College works with a learners previous education provider, the learner, their parents/carers, relevant Course Leader, Support Staff and the relevant local authority to ensure the programme and support meets the needs of the individual learner.

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?

Support is reviewed regularly with the learner and parents/carers.  Termly reports are sent out and progress evening held also.  Home to college diaries can be provided as can contact details for the relevant support team and course leader.

2.3: How will the college balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?

Support will be reviewed regularly and support plans changed to ensure an individuals needs are met including their need for independence.


2.4: How will the College match/differentiate the curriculum for the young person's special educational needs?

College work can be differentiated to meet an individuals learning needs and style by experienced teachers and support.  Support is also available to access the wider college and enrichment activities.

2.5: What teaching strategies does the college use for young people with SEND, including ASD, hearing impairment, visual impairment and speech & language difficulties?

Teacher and Support staff are trained to support a vast number of learning difficulties and impairments, and can access specific training to meet an individuals needs if needed.  The college welcomes support and input from outside specialist organisations and agencies such as speech and language therapy, occupational therapy, hearing support etc. To ensure the college supports each individual to achieve to the best of their ability.

2.6: What additional staffing does the college provide from its own budget for young people with SEND?

All learners have access to Student Services, pastoral care, a designated safeguarding team and a Health and Wellbeing Mentor.

2.8: What resources and equipment does the College provide for young people with SEND?

The College has Interactive boards, sensory equipment, Specialist ICT equipment and adapted kitchen equipment.

2.9: What special arrangements can be made for the young person when taking examinations?

Arrangements can be made for additional time, a scribe, a reader, access to ICT equipment, and written material in braille and large print. 

2.10: What accredited and non accredited courses does the College offer for young people with SEND?

EHC outcomes and personal targets, city & guilds, ASDAN entry 1-entry 3.  Level 1 course’s.  We are able to offer award, certificate and diploma depending on student needs.

3. The young person's progress.
3.1: How will the College monitor the young person's progress and how will the young person and or parents/carers be involved in this, (if appropriate)?

Individual progress is continually monitored with termly progress evenings, EHC Reviews, home diaries completed daily and frequent contact between the relevant Course Leaser and parent/carers via phone and/or email where required.

3.2: When the young person's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will parents/carers be involved, (if appropriate)?

Targets are monitored and reviewed by relevant staff regularly, with concerns being raised to the course leader and parents carers if needed.  Parents/carers are invited to termly progress evenings, with termly reports being sent home.  Parents/carers are also welcome to contact the course leader/support team at anytime to check on progress.




3.3: ln addition to the college's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for parents/carers to discuss a young person's progress with college staff?

Parents/carers are provide with the relevant contact details for the young persons course leader and support team to enable them to discuss a progress or any concerns they have. 

3.4: What arrangements does the college have for regular home to college contact, if appropriate?

Students are provided with a home diary where appropriate and parents/carers can contact the relevant course leader/support team. 


3.5: How can parents/carers support a young person's learning?

Parents/carers can support a young person by supporting any homework or course work to be completed outside of their lesson time and support an encourage working on transferable skills outside of college. 

3.6: Does the college offer any help for parents/carers to enable them to support the young person's learning, e.g. training or learning events?

Free courses are available to parents, including maths English and ICT.

3.7: How will the young person's views be sought about help they are getting and the progress they are making?

The college encourages young people to engage in all reviews, including EHC reviews, progress evenings and student reviews.  Young people are also encouraged to speak with their course leader and support staff if they have any concerns or worries. 

3.8: How does the college assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?

Parents are sked to complete Parent Surveys twice a year.  Effectiveness is assessed through academic reports, attendance, progression, new course’s facility’s, discussions with staff, transition meetings and moving on planning.

4. Supporting the young persons wellbeing
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of young people with SEND?

Emotional and social development is imbedded within all foundation courses. Students have access to multi agencies, psych, councillors, and pastoral care.

Behavioural policies are differentiated for our LDD provision- supportive and inclusive way.

College also engage with all outside agencies and specialists involved in a young persons care, health and wellbeing.


4.2: What support does the college put in place for young people who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support young people to avoid exclusion

Additional support is identified by initial assessments, behavioural plans, learning agreements/contracts, behaviours support plans, discussions with the young person, previous education providers, parents/carers, regular reviews, 1:1 sessions and working alongside all agencies and specialists involved I the care and support of a young person.


4.3: What medical support is available in the College for young people with SEND?

The college has on site trained first aiders, training for epilepsy, epi-pen, medication training and risk assessments.  Where a young person has specific medicals needs they require support with in college, support staff would engage in the relevant training to enable them to fully support the young person.

4.4: How does the College manage the administration of medicines?

The college has fully trained staffing, who can support a young person alongside the advise and guidance of a medical professional.  The college has a Medication Policy which can be asked for through Student Information or from a member of the support team.

4.5: How does the College provide help with personal care where it is needed, for example, help with toileting, eating?

The college has Manual handling training, fully equipped assessable bathrooms with hoists and shower facilities, with caring and discrete staff to provide individual care. Working with OT, SALT  to ensure the correct care is given.

5. Specialist services available / accessed at the college
5.1: What SEN support services does the college use, e.g. specialist support workers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

All SEN needs are catered for within the college and if we didn’t already have the support or resource in place this would be sourced.

5.2: What should a parent/carer do if it is considered that a young person needs support from one of these services?

Speak to tutor or curriculum manager and the appropriate referrals can be made.


5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

Speech and language therapy, Occupational therapy and physiotherapy are usually made to the learners Local Authority. Newbury College have staff trained within the foundation learning department to support with the needs of speech and language input.

If the local authority cannot provide what service is needed then an external provider will be sought.

5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?

If you feel your child needs the additional support from Speech and language therapy, Occupational therapy or physiotherapy then you should speak to the learners tutor and they can speak to the relevant authority and make the referrals needed.

5.5: What arrangements does the college have for liaison with Children's and Adult's Social Care services?

The College has a good working relationship with many different local authority’s and a point of contact for each department. The college will also invite all multi-agency individuals involved with the learner to an annual review to ensure continuity for the learner.

6. Training of college staff in special needs
6.1: What SEND training is provided to teaching staff?

Teaching staff have a wide variety of training available to them. Teaching staff are involved in training from medication, managing behaviour, manual handling and first aid.

Newbury College will ensure that any training needed to ensure the learners are supported and safe are resourced and rolled out to the staff across the provision before the learner starts their course.



6.2: What SEND training is provided to support staff?

Staff at Newbury College receive a vast amount of training for SEND needs and any additional training needed will be identified through personal development portfolio’s and the learners needs.

Currently support staff are trained in Epilepsy care and administration of rescue drugs, makaton, SALT support, Health and social care level 2/3, Level 3 award in education and training, Level 2 in functional skills, manual handling, safeguarding, challenging behaviour, PROACT-SCIP, Equality and diversity, Epi-pen and administration of medication.

The college provide both external and internal training for all staff.

6.3: Do teachers/lecturers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

All of the teachers that work with the SEN department have extensive experience and knowledge of working with learners with an SEN. All of our teaching staff have teaching qualifications.


6.4: Do learning support assistants or other staff have any specific qualifications in SEND?

Currently support staff are trained in Epilepsy care and administration of rescue drugs, makaton, SALT support, Health and social care level 2/3, Level 3 award in education and training, Level 2 in functional skills, manual handling, safeguarding, challenging behaviour, PROACT-SCIP, Equality and diversity, Epi-pen and administration of medication.


7. Activities outside the college including trips
7.1: How does the College ensure young people with SEND can be included in out of College activities and trips?

Our learners with foundation learning participate in a wide range of enrichment programmes from mixed ability sports on and of college grounds, trips to the local community, wall climbing, canoeing, archery, swimming, horse-riding, sailing, parks and areas of natural wildlife.

Teachers and health and safety officers will risk assess the trip in advance and liaise with the event/place of interest to ensure that not only is it safe for our learners but also fully accessible.

7.2: How does the College involve young people and/or parent/carers in planning activities and trips?

Parents and carers are informed of these trips through letters and communication in home college diaries and consent slips are sent home. 

Some of our learners have the chance to participate in choices and planning of trips and outing when it is appropriate.

8. How accessible is the college environment?
8.1: How accessible is the building for young people with mobility difficulties including wheelchair users?

Newbury College is fully accessible to learners with mobility difficulties including those with wheelchairs.

We have adapted widened doors at reception and all exits, a lift to all floors and specific hoisting equipment if required.

8.2: Have adaptations/improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

Within Newbury College we have quiet working sensory rooms for our students with high auditory sensitivity issues and learners who are easily distracted. We have a fully equipped sensory room.

We have the use of interactive boards and other IT equipment used for SEN needs, and are able to acquire any additional recommended equipment for our learners.

Some of our classes are fitted with the hearing loop to enable our students with hearing impairments to be fully involved in all classes.


8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

Newbury College currently has three fully accessible changing and toileting facilities with a wet room and showering facilities.

8.4: How does the College ensure that all the facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

At Newbury College we welcome applications from anyone who can benefit from our wide range of courses. We recognise that all learners have different learning needs and that a wide range of guidance and support is essential to help everyone reach their full potential. We try to respond flexibly to your individual needs.

We offer a wide range of courses from Pre-Entry to Level 7 and try to design the curriculum to be accessible, delivered at a time, in a place and in a style that meets each learner’s agreed needs, wherever and whenever possible. All learners have access to a range of supportive entry services including assessment of individual need and provision of flexible on-programme support. We choose assessment methods that are sensitive to the needs of individual learners and provide examination venues appropriate to the needs of individual learner.

8.5: How does the college communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

Newbury College is able to offer all of our documents and procedures in a wide range of accessible formats. We also have staff trained in using a number of communication aids.

We would also work with the family’s local authority to ensure continuity in communication.


8.6: How does the college communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

At Newbury College we have a wide range of different language speakers within our language department. We can also transfer all documents into the chosen language of the parent and carer.

Newbury College also offers FENNS- The course is aimed at non-native speakers who have no or little English.

Students will study survival English in a variety of different situations. On completion of the course, students will receive a Newbury College certificate.

Students will learn basic survival English, including the alphabet, numbers 1-100, classroom vocabulary, how to fill in daily forms as well as learning how to talk about daily life, do basic shopping, ask for information about travel and how to make appointments at the doctors.

9. Preparing to join the college / next stage of education
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the college and the young person before he or she joins the college?

Newbury College ensures that transition planning and trips and built around the individual needs of the learner.

Our teaching and support staff will go to the student’s current place of study to meet with the learner and their current support staff to find out as much information as possible.

Parents and carers will be invited to the college to meet with teaching staff and see how the department works and ask questions and raise any concerns or worries they may have in an informal way.

9.2: How will the young person be prepared to move on to the next stage within the college?

We work with all of our students throughout the year to prepare them for the next stage. We provide taster sessions and taster days. The learners have access to other course’s we offer throughout the year as part of their own current course to enable them to make an informed choice of what they would like to do.

With learners that need more time to adjust to new surroundings we do internal transition with the support of their own current staff.

9.3: How will the College work with the organisation(s) to whom the young person will progress?

Newbury College works with a number of organisations of which will help the learners progress on to the next stage in their life- Adviza, connections, learner services and EBP.

9.4: How will the college prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?

Newbury College has structured work experience programmes and transition periods for all learners. We work closely with EBP and all learners to ensure a suitable and meaningful work placement is found to ensure a successful placement and a positive experience for the individual.

10. Who can parents contact to discuss a young person?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if a parent/carer wants to discuss something about the young person or is worried?

The first point of contact should always be the learners tutor, at Newbury College we have an open door policy and tutors and support staffs are always on hand for advice and support for parents.


10.2: Does the college offer any specific support for parents/carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

Newbury College has a guidance team which will be able to offer support and advice and give family’s the correct contact details of outside agency’s to help them.


10.3: What arrangements does the college have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

Newbury College work with connections, adviza and we also offer learner services which can offer support and guidance.


10.4: What arrangements does the college have for feedback from parents/carers, including compliments and complaints?

Our complaints and compliments procedures are widely available online and within college, these are available in a number of formats.

The college will also welcome parents and carers into the college for a discussion if there are any issues to be resolved.

The college also send out a parent survey to be completed yearly and the results are looked over and any problem areas are identified and worked on.

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page