Adult Social Care

Last updated: 28/09/2022

We are organised in 3 localities (East, West and Central), so that people are supported by a team which is focused on their local area and linked to their GP surgery wherever possible. We hope this makes us more connected to local resources and more efficient in our response.

There are some exceptions to this, including our Sensory Needs team, which will cover the whole of the district

  • The Joint Care Provider Services Team (JCPS), work with people in hospital to make sure their return home is safe and timely
  • our Responsive Care Provider Services (Resource Centres, Residential services)
  • our Reablement Service (Joint Care Provider Service) working with people to regain independence within their own home and community
  • our Review Team, who make sure that services are working successfully

Where an individual lacks the capacity to manage their affairs and finances, we will work with them to ensure they have appropriate support.

If you'd prefer to talk to someone, please contact our Contact Centre who will help you find the right locality team to deal with all adult social care enquiries and requests for help.

If you are interested in working with our Adult Social Care team please see this page for more information.


Who to contact

01635 503050
Adult Social Care

Where to go

West Berkshire Council
Council Office
Market Street
RG14 5LD

Time / Date Details

When is it on
The office and phone line is open Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5.00pm and 8.30am to 4.30pm on a Friday. We are closed on bank holidays.

Other Details


Age Ranges
Referral required
Referral Details

To request an assessment, you can complete our online enquiry form,

Other notes

For out of hours social care (not health) emergencies, please contact the Emergency Duty Team: Tel: 01344 351999

Local Offer


Understanding your needs and circumstances to help you stay as independent as possible 

Our first offer to you is a conversation about how you can successfully manage your life. This may involve a discussion about resources in your community that might be helpful. It will also include consideration of your strengths and abilities, including those of your family, carers and wider community.

Our offer to you includes:

  • expertise, knowledge and experience
  • information and advice and signposting
  • routine reviews to ensure that care arrangements are still meeting your needs and are of an acceptable quality
  • legal expertise and advice for people who lack capacity
  • help at home to support people as necessary with personal care and essential daily living
  • supporting carers to enable them to continue in their role - we recognise the value of providing carers with good support.  Help for carers provides further information on the support we can provide carers
  • signposting to a range of specialist
  • exploring NHS Continuing Health Care eligibility
  • specialist Occupational Therapists to work with individuals to provide equipment and assistive technology to maximise people's ability to live independently
  • we work with our reablement service to help people be discharged from hospital safely and quickly
  • Safeguarding adults at risk - we work with other agencies to prevent abuse of adults at risk and investigate any concerns of abuse 

If you are unable to tell us what you need, have communication difficulties and have no-one else to support you we will arrange an independent advocate to help you through the process and share your views.

We will support you through the sometimes difficult process of understanding what adult social care is available, and can let you know about the options you have.

SEN Provision Type
Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties, Speech & Language Difficulties, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Physical Disability, Hearing Impairment, Severe Learning Difficulties, Visual Impairment
Local Offer Age Bands
19 plus

General Provider

Is your service accessible? (consider in general terms how you make your service accessible, in addition to any specific premises issues)

If you require any information in a different format such as audio tape or in another language, please ask an English speaker to contact Adult Social Care on 01635 503050 or email:

What are the eligibility criteria for your service? (please include any age restrictions, types of need catered for etc)

National Eligibility Criteria The Care and Support (Eligibility Criteria) Regulations 2014 set out a national eligibility threshold. This means that there's a level of need at which we will offer support - it's now set by the government so it's the same wherever you live. We can only give you support if you are assessed as having an eligible need. If you're not assessed as having an eligible need, we'll still provide information, advice and agree any preventative actions to help you remain independent. This might include putting you in touch with other services, organisations and support groups. If you're assessed as having eligible needs; we will work with you to identify solutions and agree the things we need to do to meet your requirements. We'll agree the steps with you and write them down in a detailed Care and Support plan for you.

How are referrals/applications made to your service? (include details of who can refer/apply and referral and application process)

Anyone, friends, relatives, carers, guardians or health professional can make a referral by making a phone call to 01635 503050 and answering a number of questions or by completing our online Adult Social Care Enquiry form

What is your service standard for responding to referrals/accessing services? (include timescales for responding to referrals and accessing services)

Response times vary according to the urgency of the need identified.

Who provides / funds your service?
Local Authority
Details of charges, whether any help is available with costs

Information and advice is free. If you require a chargeable service - we will carry out a financial assessment based on your personal financial circumstances only, to see whether you would have to contribute towards the cost of your service.

Feedback and complaints procedure

We aim to provide the best service to you and we like to know when we are getting it right. We also recognise that at times things can go wrong. When they do, we want to put things right quickly, and use the experience to improve our services and prevent future problems. We will decide with you on the best way to resolve your complaint. If another organisation is involved, such as the National Health Service or a care provider, we'll also include them.

Our leaflet, Listening to Your Views - How to complain about or comment on Adult Social Care services provides a summary of our complaints process.

How to make a complaint - Speak to the manager of the service you are dealing with – most concerns or complaints can be resolved quickly through discussions with the manager or contact the Adult Social Care Complaints Manager by Email:  

Telephone: 01635 503391 Fax: 01635 519939  Alternatively you can register your complaint online

How will I know my child will be safe using this service?

Pre-employment checks are carried out for all employees to ensure that they are suitable for employment, appropriately qualified and can be lawfully employed. For some roles, checks are carried out to ensure the applicant does not pose a risk to the safety of children, young people and/or vulnerable adults.

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page