National Insurance and tax after state pension age

When you reach State Pension age you no longer pay National Insurance contributions, but you don't automatically stop paying Income Tax. If your taxable income – including your State Pension – is more than your tax-free allowances you'll still have to pay tax.

How do I know if I should be paying tax?

HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) may have already contacted you to help you work out if you should be paying tax at State Pension age. You may have received a Pension Coding form P161. It's important that you fill this in so that you pay the right tax and get your age-related allowances.

Who to contact

0300 200 3300 Mon to Fri 8.00am to 8.00pm, Sat 8.00am to 4.00pm, Sun 9.00am to 5.00pm
0300 200 3319 Textphone
GOV.UK - Getting your tax and National Insurance right

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Add to My Shortlist
Back to top of page