Transition and Post 16

“Transition” is a term used to describe the time when young people who may need ongoing social care services move from childhood into adulthood. They may transfer from children‘s services to adult social care or have an assessment upon leaving school to look at their support needs. 

Transition is a time when a child may be thinking about a range of changes, which might include:

  • Leaving school
  • Starting college or other education
  • Starting employment
  • A change from paediatricians and specialist therapists to other health professionals
  • Thinking about longer term decisions like where you live

During this period, the Council seeks to ensure that your young person and your family are fully supported to make the right choices.  To achieve this, all those involved with your child, including teachers, social care workers and health workers will work together.

For more information, please speak to your nominated worker or contact Children’s Services on 01635 503090 or Adult Social Care on 01635 503050.

Who to contact

Contact Name
Nicola Ponton
01635 519713

Other Details


Age Ranges

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page