How to complain about a care home or care in your home - Local Government Ombudsman

Who can complain to Local Government Ombudsman?

The LGO can look at complaints about:

  • care provided by a council
  • care arranged directly with a care provider by:
    • someone paying with their own or family money
    • someone using money provided by a council, via direct payment for example


If you have a complaint, the first step is to complain to the Council or care provider.


Difference between the Ombudsman and the Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) is the independent health and adult social care regulator.

The LGO look at:

  • individual complaints when something has gone wrong

The CQC:

  • Monitors, inspects and regulates health and care services to ensure they meet standards of quality and safety.

Who to contact

0300 061 0614 Mon to Fri 8.30am to 5.00pm
•Text ‘call back’ to 0762 481 1595
Link to LGO Complaints about adult social care webpage

Where to go

PO Box 4771

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page