Assessment and eligibility - West Berkshire Council information

Care and Support Needs Assessment

Understanding your needs and circumstances to help you stay as independent as possible

Before we can work out the best way forward in your situation, we'll talk to you to understand what you want and need.

This may involve a discussion about resources in your community that might be helpful for you. It will also look at your strengths, things you can still do independently, and things where your family, carers or wider community can help you. We'll work with you to work out ways we can help maintain or improve your wellbeing and prevent and reduce the care and support you need.

The conversation may include consideration of your care and support needs against national eligibility criteria.

We use the information from your assessment to decide if you qualify for support under the Care Act 2014. This means that there is a level of need at which we will offer support - it is now set by the government.  

You will be eligible if you have a physical or mental condition that has a significant impact on your wellbeing. 

You must also be unable to achieve at least two of the following:

  • Feed yourself
  • Maintain personal hygiene (keeping clean)
  • Manage toilet needs
  • Be appropriately clothed
  • Stay safe in your own home
  • Manage the housework in your home
  • See and keep in touch with friends and family and meet new friends
  • Work, volunteer or do education and training you may need
  • Make use of necessary facilities or services in the local community including public transport, and recreational facilities or services
  • Carry out any caring responsibilities you have for a child

Further information about eligibility is available on the Social Care Institute for excellence (scie) website.

Arranging an assessment

Get in touch with us online for a chat about your needs.

If you're unable to tell us what you need, have communication difficulties or have no-one else to support you we will arrange for an independent advocate to help you through the process and share your views.

Assessment before you come out of hospital

If you've been admitted to a ward, make sure that you tell the hospital staff about any difficulties you might face when you get back home.  Our Coming out of Hospital webpage explains the process, and the various assessments that may need to take place.

Specialist assessments

We will also consider if any specialist assessments would be useful to help work out the right solutions for your needs.

If you have complex needs relating to moving and positioning, or need a major adaptation to your home, we may refer you for a specialist Occupational Therapy assessment.  There may be financial support for home adaptations available in some circumstances.  West Berkshire Council's Private Section Housing Officer may be able to answer any questions you may have 01635 519680

Who to contact

01635 503050
Care Needs and Assessment information from West Berkshire Council

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page