John O'Gaunt School

John O’Gaunt School is situated in the town of Hungerford in a rural setting. Students come into year 7 from local primary schools in West Berkshire and Wiltshire. There are 340 students on roll from year 7 to 11. Each year has three forms of students within it. Students in year 11 move into the sixth form of a local school or a local College; Newbury or Swindon.

The John O’Gaunt School believes that every student has an entitlement to develop their potential and that students with special educational needs or disability must have their needs addressed in order to enable this to happen. We aim to identify these needs as they arise and provide teaching and learning contexts which enable every child to achieve to his or her full potential.

We believe they should have access to a broad, balanced, inclusive and challenging curriculum including the National Curriculum and that, wherever possible, they should be taught alongside their peers. We recognise that students require a range of support in order to access the curriculum and are committed to personalising intervention to facilitate the learning and personal development of all students with SEND.

Who to contact

01488 682400
John O'Gaunt School

Where to go

Priory Road
RG17 0AN

Local Offer

Contact Name
Mrs Sharon Kirwan
Contact Telephone
01488 682400
Contact Email
SEN Provision Type
Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties, Medical, Specific Literacy Difficulties, Speech & Language Difficulties, Behavioural, Emotional & Social Difficulties, Autistic Spectrum Disorder, Physical Disability, Hearing Impairment, Moderate Learning Difficulties, Severe Learning Difficulties, Visual Impairment
Local Offer Age Bands
7 to 11
12 to 14
15 to 16
16 to 18
Needs Level


1. Identification of SEND
1.1: How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?

The school uses the definition of Special Educational Needs and Disability from the Code of Practice.

A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age, or

  • has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions

The Code of Practice is used to inform identification as are characteristics of the different types of SEND. Initial identification evolves from whole school monitoring of student progress and well-being. Assessments are undertaken to collect information. Part of this is information from parents/carers and the students. Fellow professionals are also often involved in supporting the school in identifying students with SEND.

1.2: What should I do if I think my child has SEND?

If any parent has concerns that their child may have SEND, they should speak with staff from the school. They can discuss the situation with their child’s tutor or Head of House or they can contact the SENDCO.

2. Support for children with special educational needs
2.1: If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?

Every subject teacher is responsible for the progress of each student in their class. There is information on their needs and strategies to support each student on the staff intranet to support teachers with their planning. All the staff who teach your child will be involved in supporting the plan that is put into place and his/her tutor and Head of House will also continue to monitor progress. The SENDCO will monitor any specific intervention identified as appropriate and track progress towards intervention outcomes.

2.2: How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?

You and your child will be involved in identifying outcomes and progress will be discussed in meetings. At the initial meeting, strategies will be identified for the school, student and parent. Review meetings will focus on progress and the effectiveness of the strategies.

2.3: How will the school balance my child's need for support with developing their independence?

The school has a team of well-trained TAs (Teaching Assistants) who work with the teachers to balance support and independence. The main method of support is the plan, do, review system where, through careful questioning, the TAs support the students to plan, complete and then review their work for themselves.

2.4: How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child's needs?

Assessments provide quality information which are used to determine outcomes for students and enable planning for differentiation. Strategies that will help the student to access learning in lessons and make progress are discussed by parents, students and staff at meetings to write and review Support and Achievement plans. Advice for choosing options is provided for SEND students by tutors, Heads of House and the SENDCO. The KS4 curriculum has been designed to support the needs of SEND students with a range of qualifications.

2.5: What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?

Teaching strategies are personalised for SEND students. Some students have a complexity of need and therefore need to have a greater range of strategies for teachers and Teaching Assistants to use. Strategies employed will vary depending on the type of SEND a student has and the lesson content and context. Strategies suggested by other professionals working with the SEND students are incorporated into the range of strategies used.

2.6: What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?

The school employs the following staff:


SEND Manager

Pastoral Support Manager and assistants

2.7: What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
Type / TitleIntervention Type
Acceleread/Accelewrite for a 6 week period One to one
Personalised programmes for spelling and reading One to one
Personalised programmes for spelling and reading Small group
Homework Club Small group
Numeracy Intervention Small group
2.8: What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?

The school has a Study and Support Department where students receive intervention programmes. It is also available for SEND students to use before school, at break and lunchtime. There is a small suite of computers that students can access and it is the base for the SENDCO, SEND Manager and the Teaching Assistants. Resources for intervention programmes are funded by the school. The SENDCO and SEND Manager liaise with other professionals when there is a need for specialist equipment.

2.9: What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?

The school follows the regulations provided by the exam boards. Students are assessed to determine whether they meet the criteria for any of the exam access arrangements. These arrangements reflect the students’ normal way of working in assessments throughout their time in school. Arrangements that are currently provided for students where the JCQ criteria have been met include:

A reader

25% extra time

A laptop (without spellcheck or grammar facilities)

A prompter

Rest breaks

3. My child's progress
3.1: How will the school monitor my child's progress and how will I be involved in this?

The school monitors student progress through regular data checks to assess progress with the national curriculum levels or GCSE grades. A copy of your child’s progress is sent to you at each data check. There is also a parents evening for each year group. In Term 2 all students and parents have a meeting with their tutor to discuss progress. In addition to this, if your child has SEND, you will discuss progress in SAP review meetings.

3.2: When my child's progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?

Students and parents are fully involved in identifying outcomes for students and reviewing progress.

3.3: ln addition to the school's normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child's progress with school staff?

In addition to the normal parents’ evening and any review meetings, parents can contact their son/daughter’s tutor or a member of the Pastoral Support team to speak to them or a particular member of staff such as the SENDCO.

3.4: What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?

Each student has a School Planner where parents can write comments and see any written by staff. Parents of SEND students may ring into school to speak with the SEND Manager.

3.5: How can I help support my child's learning?

All students have a planner and access to ‘Show my Homework’. Parents can support their child with homework using these. SEND students also have a plan where specific support from school and home are identified by parents and school.

3.6: Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child's learning, eg. training or learning events?

The school works with fellow professionals to support parents. The regular SAP reviews enable parents to discuss any help they may require. Parents can also phone the SEND Manager and the SENDCO for advice at any time.

3.7: How will my child's views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?

Students are fully involved in all their reviews. During these meetings, students are involved in discussing the type of support they need and where and how it will be provided. They also discuss strategies which help them learn and their progress.

3.8: What accredited and non accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?

SEND students follow courses towards GCSEs and BTECs. In addition, students with SEND can opt for extra English and maths support as an option.

3.9: How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEN provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?

The views of parents and students are gathered at review meetings. Results of all interventions are analysed to ensure that they are effective. The school’s SEND Governor monitors the work of the department.

4. Support for my childs overall well being
4.1: What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?

The support is very personalised. Members of staff available to promote the above include:


SEND Manager

Pastoral Support Manager

Head of House


The Study and Support Department is open for students before school, at break and after school. The SEND Manager and Pastoral Support Manager are non-teaching staff and are therefore available for issues throughout the day. They are also both members of the school’s Safeguarding Team. Staff are trained to support the students.

4.2: What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?

The school has a clear Behaviour for Learning policy. Information on this is on all classroom walls. Parents and students are fully involved with Heads of House in meeting to discuss difficulties and plan ways forward to address the issues. Support such as students having a key worker, report card, behaviour support sessions, a positive reintegration programme, support into lessons is put into place. Other professionals such as the Educational Psychologist are also involved as necessary. Success is celebrated and built upon. 

4.3: What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?

The school has qualified First Aiders.

The School Nurse trains staff on epipens or any particular medical need e.g. a student with diabetes.

Other professionals such as Occupational Therapists and physiotherapists who work with students visit the school to work with them. Students who have OT specified in a plan may have sessions of OT in school.

4.4: How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

Medicines are kept in a locked cabinet and only administered as directed by medical professionals.

4.5: How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?

This is individualised based on advice from medical professionals.

5. Specialist services available / accessed by the school
5.1: What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc?

The school uses a range of services depending on the need of the student. These include:

Educational Psychologist


ASD Advisory Teacher

The Sensory Consortium


CYPIT (OT, Speech and Language and other therapies)


5.2: What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?

The CALT team, EP service, Speech and Language and ASD advisory service are all accessed according to need  by contacting the SENDCO, Each service has their own list of criteria and specific referral forms. Medical needs should be discussed with your GP.

5.3: How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?

Referrals are made when a need arises. If a therapist meets with your child, then they will write a report and he school staff follow the recommendations from the report.

5.4: What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?

Contact the school and we will discuss the best way forward; whether it is a referral from the school or you visiting the doctor for a medical referral.

5.5: What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children's Social Care services?

The school works closely with Children’s Social Care. There is a Designated Person for Safeguarding a team who support the Designated Person. Staff attend any CIN and CP meetings and liaise closely with Social Workers assigned to students.

6. Training of school staff in SEND
6.1: What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?

All new staff receive induction training from the SENDCO. SEND training is mapped into the CPD programme for the year. In addition, other professionals visit the school to train staff on specific areas of need or a particular child and effective ways of supporting their learning. Data and information from monitoring and evaluating are also used to identify training needs.

6.2: What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?

Teaching assistants have been trained by specialist teachers and Educational Psychologists from West Berkshire. In addition, they are trained to deliver any of the intervention programmes in which they are involved. The school has a TA who has completed the ELKLAN course: an accredited qualification in Speech and Language support. The SENDCO observes and monitors the work of the TAs. TAs may be involved in peer observations and coaching.

6.3: Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?

The SENDCO has the Certificate for Teaching Students with Specific Learning Difficulties

6.4: Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?

SEND Manager has a Level 3 qualification in Supporting Learning

ELKLAN trained TA

Teaching Assistants  have received specific training from Local Authority specialists

4 TAs trained to deliver 1:1 Structured Reading

7. Activities outside the classroom including school trips
7.1: How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?

All students receive letters inviting them on trips. If necessary, Risk Assessments will be completed. Parents are involved in discussions.

7.2: How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?

Parents are involved in discussing any reasonable adjustments.

8. Accessibility of the school environment
8.1: How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?

There are ramps to the ground floor rooms.

8.2: Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?

The school sends texts and emails to parents who are hearing impaired. If a parent had another type of SEND, strategies to support the parent would be put into place.

8.3: Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?

The school has a disabled toilet.

8.4: How do you ensure that all the school's facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?

The school has an Accessibility Plan.

8.5: How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?

The school will accommodate the disability of parents e.g. texts and letters for Hearing Impaired, telephone contact for visually impaired.

8.6: How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?

If necessary, the school will seek to enlist the services of a translator.

9. Preparing my child to join a new school / next stage of education
9.1: What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?

The normal transition arrangements include:

Two days attending the school in term 6 of year 5 and 6

Individual family interviews with a member of SLT

Intake Evening

A welcome to John O’Gaunt tea for parents and students

Visit to each primary school by the Pastoral Lead and Pastoral Support Manager to speak with students and year 6 staff

In addition, for SEN students:

The SENDCO and SEND Manager visit each feeder primary to discuss students and their needs with the teachers then meet the SEND students face to face

The SENDCO and SEND Manager attend all EHCP reviews in year 6

There is a personalised programme of transition which is discussed with the primary school and parents. This can include:

Extra visits

A visit to photograph areas of the school

A students TA to speak with the school’s TAs

A school’s TA to joint work with the primary TA on the two days in year 6

9.2: How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?

Tutors and the SENDCO support parents and students in choosing options. There is an option evening but parents may also book an extra meeting to discuss options.

9.3: How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?

The Careers Advisor from Adviza works closely with the school and students to ensure a smooth transition to post 16 education. 

9.4: How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?

The Careers Advisor works closely with the school and students to ensure a smooth transition to post 16 education. If a student moves school before year 11, the pastoral team and the SENDCO will liaise closely with the new school.

9.5: What information will be provided to my child's new school?

Information will transfer with the student. For students with a statement or EHC, the SENDCO will invite the new school to a year 11 review or, if the student moves earlier than this, will discuss the student with the new school’s SENDCO.

9.6: How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?

The Careers Advisor is involved in supporting students to make a smooth transfer. Future plans are discussed at all reviews of students with statements or EHCPs from year 9.

10. Who can I contact to discuss my child?
10.1: Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?

Tutor or Pastoral Support Manager for welfare issues

Subject teacher for a specific subject issue

SEND Manager and SENDCO for specific SEND issues

10.2: Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers?)

SEND students have the support of the SEND Manager. There is also the Pastoral Support Manager if the issue is not SEND related.

10.3: What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?

Parents can contact the school’s SEND Manager or SENDCO. Or they can look at the Local Offer online.

10.4: What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?

The school has a complaints procedure which can be used if needed. They can also contact the SEND Manager or SENDCO.

West Berkshire Council do not promote or endorse any of the services listed in this Directory. For more information on this please read our disclaimer.

Back to top of page