Preparing for Adulthood

West Berkshire Council want all their young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) and disabilities to make a successful transition to adulthood, including

  • Paid employment, wherever possible
  • Living as independently as possible
  • Having good physical and emotional health
  • Being part of their community
  • Having friends and relationships

Young people with SEN and disabilities are likely to need extra help to achieve the best possible life outcomes. Schools will start planning transition to adulthood, with the young person and their family, from the age of 14 onwards. This will need to involve other agencies including careers guidance organisations who offers careers advice and advice on further education and training. Help to access employment can be provided by Job Centre Plus and by voluntary agencies. Some young people with severe disabilities may be entitled to support from Adult Social Care. West Berkshire Council's Housing Team  will be able to advise on whether young people are entitled to help with housing. There are a range of providers in and around West Berkshire who are able to provide education and training programmes to young people wishing to develop their skills and gain vocational experience and qualifications. A number of young people in West Berkshire also study apprenticeships, supported internships and traineeships along their pathway to employment and adult life.

There is a wealth of information for young adults over the age of 18 on the Adults section of this directory.

Back to top of page