Transition planning for disabled young people, moving from children's social care to adult's social care

Until the age of 18, the care of children with long-term health conditions is the responsibility of child health and social care services. From 18, they are usually the responsibility of adult services. Between the ages of 16 and 18, the child will start a "transition" of the services affecting:

  • health and social care 
  • mental health
  • education
  • financial benefits for the young person and their family
  • work
  • housing

Please see link to the West Berkshire Council Transitions web page in 'Related Links' or 'External Links' for more detailed information and also West Berkshire Council's Adult Social Care Transitions Guide - Preparing for Adulthood.

Back to top of page