Please find below some resources that may be helpful for parent carers of children and young people with SEND or children and young people themselves.
• National Autistic Society – guidance and helpline for parents’, young people and staff: https://www.autism.org.uk/services/nas-schools/vanguard/news/2020/march/coronavirus-(covid-19)-advice.aspx
• Mencap - Easy Read guide to Coronavirus: https://www.mencap.org.uk/sites/default/files/2020-03/Information%20about%20Coronavirus%20ER%20SS2.pdf
• Place2Be – Guide to helping parents answer questions from their children and to support family wellbeing: https://www.place2be.org.uk/about-us/news-and-blogs/2020/march/coronavirus-information-for-children/
• Young Minds - Talking to your child about Coronavirus and 10 tips from their Parents Helpline to support family wellbeing: https://youngminds.org.uk/blog/talking-to-your-child-about-coronavirus/
• Carers UK - Guidance for carers: https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/health/looking-after-your-health/coronavirus-covid-19
• Covibook – an interactive resource designed to support and reassure children aged 7 and under, designed to help children explain and draw the emotions that they might be experiencing during the pandemic: https://www.mindheart.co/descargables
• Amaze - information pack for parents: https://amazesussex.org.uk/faqs-about-the-coronavirus-for-parent-carers-of-children-with-send-brighton-hove/
• Public Health England have produced an easy read version of their Advice on the coronavirus for places of education. https://www.easy-read-online.co.uk/media/53192/advice-on-the-coronavirus-v1.pdf
FAQs: Covid-19 – rights and benefits during pregnancy and maternity leave: https://maternityaction.org.uk/covidmaternityfaqs/
Arthritis Action: https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/ gives some arthritis friendly exercises.
Many people living with a long-term health condition find it difficult to attend exercise classes. To help them, Arthritis Action recently launched a series of online chair based exercises developed with the aim of helping those with hip, knee or spinal Osteoarthritis more mobile and active.
Exercise and Activity Directory
Many people living with a long-term health condition also find exercising challenging. To support them, we launched an Exercise and Activity Directory signposting webpage in January 2020 to help people find the help and support they may need within their county to get active.
Mental Health Directory
Many people living with a long-term health condition also experience mental health difficulties, such as stress or anxiety. To enable people to find the help and support they may need we have listed mental health organisations by county. Many of the NHS IAPT teams across the UK are listed as well as local Mind hubs and an array of other charitable organisations and services offering help and support to people experiencing mental health difficulties.
Managing children and young people's anxiety, fears and worries - Dr Polly Waite
Podcast: How can we best support children and young people with their worries and anxiety?
The Emerging Minds Network is pleased to share recordings from their webinar on 24 March 2020:
In the time of COVID-19, how we can best support children and young people with their worries? What does research tell them?
They were delighted to be joined by: Professor Cathy Creswell, University of Oxford; Dr Polly Waite, Universities of Oxford & Reading and Professor Helen Dodd, University of Reading. Click on the link below to watch:
We’re all having to work differently in the wake of the current crisis. What’s more, many of us are needing to deliver in the constant company of our children. A tough challenge indeed.
However, there’s never been more entertainment on offer for children at home, so don’t despair.
Here’s a small selection to keep the kids happily occupied and allow you to keep calm and carry on working.
Every house has a small (or large) budding Strictly Come Dancing contestant. So let them ‘keep dancing’ along with Oti Mabuse. Oti has youtube dance classes, weekdays at 11.30am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Btxws8qvYAA
No need to worry about keeping kids (and you) in shape when they can’t get to the park. Fitness guru Joe Wicks has it covered. Check out his classes on youtube, weekdays at 9am. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz0go1pTda8
The links below also have great tips.