Caring for someone can affect you financially as you may lose earnings or have to spend your own money to care for people.
There may be a number of benefits, which you could be entitled to as a carer. The person you care for may also be entitled to benefits. Carers UK have lots of useful information on the following subjects:
- Carer's Allowance
- Personal Independence Payment
- Disability Living Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Benefits for carers who are working age
- Benefits for carers who are pension age
- Benefit cap
Q&A on the High Court ruling on the benefit cap
- Housing Benefit
- Bedroom Tax
- Challenging a benefit decision
- Challenging a 'bedroom tax' decision
- Universal Credit
- Tax Credits and Child Benefit
- Work focused interviews / work related activity
Information available on Carers UK website.
You will also find helpful guidance from Gov.UK.
Citizens Advice West Berkshire provides free specialist advice for people with disabilities and their carers. For further information about this service call 01635 516609.
The Carers Trust benefits calculator can also help you find out about benefits and entitlements.