Legal advice for carers - managing someone else's affairs

Add to My Shortlist

If you are looking after the finances of the person you care for, you may also want to explore legal issues like power of attorney. For more information on managing someone else's affairs visit the Citizen Advice website.

There are two types of Lasting Power of Attorney:

  • property and financial affairs LPA
  • health and welfare LPA

You don't have to make both types of LPA at the same time.

If you want someone to look after your affairs for a long period of time, you can give them a lasting power of attorney (LPA):

  • you can make  an LPA which looks after your health and care decisions and one to look after your property and financial affairs
  • an LPA must be registered before it can be used
  • an LPA lets you choose people to look after your affairs if you lose mental capacity

You can download the form or complete online at GOV.UK

Back to top of page