What is an Au Pair or Nanny?

An Au Pair

  • Is not usually a trained childcare professional.
  • Is ususally a student from outside of the UK.
  • Usually come to study and to improve their English.
  • Are employed by you.
  • Are a suitable affordable option for out of school care for older children.
  • Must be provided with a room and board.
  • Must not be left in sole charge of babies and young children.

A Nanny

  • Will look after children in your own home.
  • Can live in or out
  • Are employed by you.
  • Can be more flexible than other forms of childcare.
  • Can provide care when your children are unwell
  • With arrangement they can be available to assist with babysitting.
  • Can register with Ofsted on the Voluntary register although this is not a legal requirement.
  • You may be entitled to help with childcare costs through the Inland Revenue Tax Credits


Back to top of page