Looking for help with finances?

Listed under the view all services section you will find a list of organisations that will help you if you want advice on money matters, debt and budgeting, or if you have concerns about pensions or the benefits that you may be entitled to. There is also guidance on Direct Payments and managing your Personal Budget.  West Berkshire Council's Charging policies can be found by accessing the 'Paying for your care' tab.

West Berkshire Council is not able to give you financial advice about your care options - we encourage everyone who needs care to talk to an independent financial adviser for impartial and specialist support. Financial advisers provide information on a wide range of financial products and services, for example pensions, life insurance and investments that will help to pay for care needs in the future. Find a list of helpful organisations in the Paying for your care - planning for the future section who will provide useful guidance if you wish to arrange your own care package.

Where a financial assessment is required, we will make an appointment with you to determine how much you will be required to contribute towards the cost of your care and support at home or in a Care Home. The Client Financial Services Team will carry out a financial assessment of your circumstances to work out exactly what your contribution should be.  You will find further guidance regarding Charges for non-residential services (including respite) and Charges for residential and nursing care under the ‘Related advice’ section below.

NHS continuing Healthcare - If you have a disability or complex medical problem, you might qualify for free NHS continuing healthcare.


Supporting you through an assessment

If you are unable to tell us what you need, have communication difficulties or have no-one else to support you we will arrange an independent advocate to help you through the process and share your views.

Contact Adult Social Care on 01635 503050 to discuss your needs or complete the online enquiry form.


Advice and help for people who pay for their own care

Further financial information for self-funders is also available from The Society of Later Life Advisers,  or the Money Advice Service.


Back to top of page